Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Today

I was finally able to get back to my classroom (my daughter's volleyball schedule is brutal!)  I only had about an hour and a half before I had to be a taxi again come back home, so I'm glad I left my room well organized.  I was able to fly in and get right to work.  In a VERY short period of time I was able to put some things up on the walls, -I am eternally grateful to Cara from The First Grade Parade for her post about using hot glue to put things up on cinder block walls.  How did I ever survive 20+ years of teaching without this knowledge??- I got my car emptied out, things put away, and was a laminating fool.  So... I am ready to go back again tomorrow and hopefully "finish up".  Below are things that have kept me busy the last couple days...
"Apple Bags"  -  So simple, yet SO important!

Apple Bags are gallon-sized zip lock bags that have my kiddos' names on them.  These bags go back and forth between school and home on a daily basis.  They hold everything from milk money to art work and are invaluable to me.  Things don't get lost, parents know what they send in is received, and it keeps my kids organized.  Such a simple thing that makes my teaching life so much easier! 
What you see laying on top is the welcome packet that parents receive at Kindergarten Orientation.  Included with the packet is ...
...a student information card.  This card keeps information close at hand and readily accessible.  The binder is actually a small one that holds 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 paper.  The "paper" is a large index card that is hole punched.  As parents return them (in the Apple Bags!), I simply file them alphabetically so I can refer to them when needed.

It is slowly coming together.  Hope to have pictures of a finished classroom tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment