Monday, August 17, 2015

Hello. It's been awhile. Again.

These last couple of weeks have been a little wild.  The day after my last post we were hit by a severe storm that torn up our area and left a path of destruction in its wake.  We are still cleaning up trees, branches, leaves, etc.  We were lucky.  No damage to our home or property.  My cousin's truck was completely crushed, thankfully their house was untouched.  We lost our power for a couple days and the internet was down for almost a week.  Again, lucky.  My aunt and uncle and my brother's family were without power for several days.  The poles and utility lines just down the street from us were such a mess, that the area was out for almost two weeks.  The storm was short... about 45 minutes, but WOW did it pack a punch!  I really wish I had pictures, but I was quite content to hang out at home.  There were so many trees and wires down, it was tough (and dangerous) to get around.    
Poor tree!  Many were just knocked over.
What I woke up to.  Branches in the driveway... Minor!
The week following the storm was a whirlwind.  I had my cousin's daughter for the weekend (and this past weekend as well!) and we celebrated my parents' anniversary.  Phew, I am happy to say it was a big success!  They were pleasantly surprised and had a nice day.  On Monday, I took my cousin's daughter to one of the mansions down in Newport and we spent a couple hours doing an audio tour and walking around the grounds.  I can't even imagine this being a "summer home" that was only lived in for 8-12 weeks out of the year.  Just mind boggling.
The "backyard" of the Elms in Newport
Part of the garden area
The rest of the week was spent working in my classroom and doing work for my district.  I actually feel quite accomplished in that area (which is good, since my kiddos start Friday!)  I am picking away at that list of Poo2Do.  It's not all going to get done, but I am still trying!

Almost ready!
To finish catching up...This past weekend we made favors for my cousin's upcoming wedding.  I realized I had better get my act together since her shower is this weekend!  I am crafting away again... and looking forward to posting pictures of what I have been working on :)

Tomorrow I am doing one last hurrah at the beach.  Another thing I can cross off on that list! Just trying to enjoy these last few days of summer before returning to reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment