Saturday, November 22, 2014

This BS is Killing Me

Okay, I am admitting to maybe having to tone it down just a bit.  Here's my sad tale of woe... Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with having a Bone Spur.  My foot, well, it hurts.  It hurts ALOT.  I've been a little gimpy since July (I don't rush to the doctors, as you can tell).  I was ignoring managing the pain and making an attempt to self treat.  Icing, massaging, stretching, ibuprofen...doing all the things the internet doctors recommended.  When I decided to notch it up with the 100 mile challenge, I knew I could be asking for trouble.  So here it is in a nutshell... 

These last couple of weeks weren't too bad, until Veteran's Day.  I had the day "off", so I stayed home and worked at taming the dust bunnies and cob webs.  I moved furniture, changed the curtains, washed walls, dusted, and vacuumed. etc.  It was fabulous.  Until Wednesday morning when I got out of bed.  YOWZER!  To say my foot was desperately unhappy is an understatement.  Apparently climbing ladders and standing on my tiptoes to reach the high places was just a little too much.  Since I am a slow learner, I made sure to do 2 miles on the dreadmill on Wednesday night and another 2.6 on Thursday.  'Cuz, ya' know, why not?

Well, last Friday was not a fun day.  When I got up in the morning, I almost cried.  Walking around usually helps to stretch things out and alleviates some of the initial discomfort.  Not Friday. Friday was bad.  I hobbled around work and was glad to get home.  I decided to take it easy and just did a brisk 30 min walk instead of the 2 mile walk/intermittent run that I normally do.  And then I took a break from the whole "I must do 2 miles a day" thing.  The days following, I did a couple days of easy miles and then took a couple more days off.

Yesterday, I went to the doctor.  And now I'm grounded.  No more running.  No more brisk walks.  LOTS of stretching, icing and massaging.  Plus the added JOY of a night splint (insert swear words here).  I'm going to look on the positive side.  With time (6-8 weeks) and strictly following the doctors orders, I should be able to walk pain free.  I CAN do slow/easy walks on the dreadmill, but the pace has to be kept between 3.0-3.5.  If I am a good girl and do everything right, when I go back to him in January there is a good chance I will be able to slowly reintroduce running into my life. 

Overall, I'm kinda bummed out.  I'm anxious to get better and I am concerned about the effect (or lack thereof) this is going to have on my weight loss goals.  *Sigh*      

No comments:

Post a Comment